Our improvement journey is well underway, but there's plenty of time for you to contribute and be part of our successful transformation. We're big on career development, and positive organisational change will provide opportunities for high performing staff to progress.
In the longer term, being part of a successful improvement journey at a high profile borough like Newham will offer an excellent and unique experience whilst improving any social worker's CV - though we are hoping you'll be with us for a while!
We've been working hard to make Newham a great place to practise social work.
We will offer you:
- A four year personalised career pathway
- Flexible working arrangements and the opportunity to work from home
- Smarter Working with brand new modern technology
- New social work academy with training in systemic practice
- 'Newham Together'. A positive, nurturing and collaborative work environment built on trust
- Systemic and restorative practice will be helped and encouraged to flourish
- Excellent transport links to the rest of the capital
- Permanent and stable senior leadership with a consistent vision
- We will be a ‘social work centre of excellence’ by 2023
We also offer you a competitive salary package with a £5,000 annual retention payment for qualified roles below Service Manager.
Newly Qualified Social Worker: £32,430
Social Worker: £33,948 to £42,684 + £5,000 retention payment per annum
Advanced Practitioner: £42,681 to £45,585 + £5,000 retention payment per annum
Practice Leaders: £44,607 to £50,448 + £5,000 retention payment per annum
Service Manager: £56,997 to £70,667
Head of Service: £66,117 to £84,360
- Yearly incremental wage rise, with potential double increments for top performers.
- Travel assistance package for social workers to purchase a business parking permit or free oyster card use for business purposes
- Car user mileage allowance
- Cycle allowance
- Relocation package of up to £7,500
- Staff Referral scheme (receive £500 when a social worker you have referred, who is external to Newham, joins the council)
We appreciate the difficult and important work that social workers do, and offer staff additional wellbeing benefits:
- Flexible working
- Employee assistance programme providing free 24 hour counselling, support and expert advice on personal, financial and legal issues (for employees and members of their family living at the same address)
- Free Fit2Work 1-1 Wellbeing sessions
- Annual free eye test
- Occupational health service
- Subsidised leisure pass